Thursday, September 23, 2010

First Full Day of Fall and Things Are Buzzing!

When we moved here in 2006 we discovered that there was a beehive on our property. In the last four years with dreams of honey dancing in our heads I have uncovered a "bee trail" as it were. Evidently the original owners nephew began to keep bees in the mid to late 1960's. Time marches on and the hive that is left ( the only one of the original 10) is somewhere between 50 and / or less years old. I have no documentation on if anyone intervened after the initial undertaking.

So today was moving day for my hive. My friends Katrina and Marie, experienced bee keepers, came to the rescue at Walnetto Farm. The goal will be to finally move the hive to an area better situated for "happy bees". It will need to be slow going as bees need be moved no more than 3 feet (if that) in a day. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. I am just so very happy that the bees have new digs. As the older ones were , ah, made me feel like a Bee Slum Lord!













2 comments:

  1. That's cool, now your honey bee has a permanent home. May I share also that Honey is the easiest way to produce and harvest without taking so much risk. Environmentalists are now encouraging hobbyists to think about raising beehives to increase the population of bees. Because bees are feared to be declining in numbers, and this will cause a negative effect on our ecological system. Bees pollinate the flowers and fruit-bearing trees as well as the vegetables.
    http://www.safebeekeeping.com/beehive-honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting on my blog.

    My husband wanted to know why you can only move a beehive 3ft a day? We know nothing about bee keeping:-)

    Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete